Thursday, March 10, 2016

thursday recipe: emily rose brott's chocolate pecan brownies















We're moving house this week.

I'm surrounded by brown cardboard boxes, a few filled, many empty waiting for the contents of our cupboards and shelves to be placed inside sealed with tape and transported to...our new home!

Our new home that we've waited almost ten years for.

When River was six weeks old we moved to our current little beach shack which is in a fantastic location between the ocean and the bay.

We've had what I think is possibly the cheapest rent in Australia while we've been here - believe me the antiquated kitchen and bathroom haven't deserved a dollar more - but the location is the drawcard.

It has been the perfect little nest to raise our babies into boys, and the easy to handle rent has given us freedom, freedom to travel each winter to remote communities for Peter's work and freedom to save.

For the past three months Pete has treated getting our new house ready like a job leaving home early each morning to go 'on site' and work through a long list of plastering, painting, laying new floors, designing and creating new bathrooms and kitchen and and and the list goes on. We've been blessed to have the help of my uncle with this work and a great young carpenter who has enjoyed honing his craft on Pete's creative design ideas.

I'm looking forward to showing you some photos soon!

But for now there's brownies. I thought you'd be ok with that. Personally I don't see what the fuss is about brownies I'd rather eat chocolate but I know a lot of people love them. My sons and husband included!

Thanks to mum of four and cookbook author Emily Rose Brott for sharing her brownie recipe here today. This recipe comes from Emily's most recent book My Secret Ingredient. If you don't eat wheat flour you can use spelt or your favorite gluten free option. I also don't use rice bran oil so I'd use almond oil or butter.

You can read more about Emily and get her recipe for apple, oat, cranberry and chocolate muffins here.

Ok I'm off to make school lunches and then pack some more boxes.

Enjoy the recipe x

Emily Rose Brott's Chocolate and Pecan Brownies
Ingredients
3 eggs
2/3 cup (165ml) rice bran oil
120g 70% dark chocolate
2/3 cup (190g) honey
¾ cup (120g) wholemeal (whole-wheat) plain (all-purpose) flour
¼ cup (25g) almond meal (ground almonds)
¼ cup (60ml) milk
½ cup (55g) chopped toasted pecans (refer to cooking tips)

To make
Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F) fan-forced.
Beat eggs and oil together. Melt chocolate, and mix honey into the chocolate until dissolved. Add chocolate mixture to egg mixture, and beat.
Mix in flour, almond meal and milk until combined.
Stir in toasted chopped pecans.
Grease a brownie tin (28cm × 18cm) with oil, and line base with baking paper. 
Pour mixture into tin, spreading it evenly, and bake for 25 minutes.
Leave to cool in tin for 20 minutes before removing and leaving to cool further on a cake rack. 
Slice and serve.
Makes 15

Cooking tip: As an alternative to pecans you can use toasted walnuts or macadamia nuts.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new house! I look forward to seeing some photos.

    And yes to brownies, I love them! Especially with a coffee or a glass of milk. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Imogen. We are very excited. I hope you enjoy making the brownies and thanks for being such a long time reader here so nice to see your name come up and that you still visit here even with my irregular posting! x

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I read every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...