Thursday, October 11, 2012

an old school favorite - zucchini slice

Working from home affords me the luxury (some days) of planning ahead and having dinner ready before school pick up. Yesterday was one of those - good - days.

Before heading off to school River asked if we could go directly to the skate park after school. With the promise of sunshine showing itself that afternoon it seemed like a good idea and coming home to dinner prepared made it an even better plan.

So by 2.30pm Sol and I had cracked eggs, grated zucchini, carrot, cheese and onion mixed it all together with some olive oil and gluten free flour, baked it in the oven for half an hour and voila, with salad on the side dinner was ready.
Typically zucchini slice includes bacon but I'm not so much a bacon fan so I skip that. I used a vintage cheddar to make this one but I use whatever cheese I have in the fridge, I've made it with fetta, parmesan or goats cheese. I add grated carrot to up the vegie intake and carrot always makes things a little sweeter don't you agree? Chopped fresh herbs are also a great addition. Grating the onion rather than chopping it keeps it well disguised from little people who don't enjoy biting into onion. Instead of baking it in a baking tray you can also bake it in a muffin tray for individual servings. And if your children have a taste for tomato sauce try serving with homemade sugar and salt free tomato sauce. Leftovers are perfect for lunch the next day.

I hope your return to school week is going smoothly. And a big hello and welcome to the smiling faces I see who have joined up as followers this week. Thrilled to see you there! x

Zucchini Slice

5 eggs
1 large zucchini grated
1 small onion grated
1 small carrot grated
1 cup cheddar cheese grated
1 cup self raising flour
1/4 cup olive oil
(optional ingredients - bacon, herbs, other style of cheese)

Turn oven on to 170C
Line a baking tray with baking paper.
Whisk eggs in a bowl and mix in flour. Add vegetables, cheese and oil mix until combined.
Pour mixture into baking tray and bake for half an hour or until set and golden.

So easy!


3 comments:

  1. Zucchini slice (or pie as we call it) is a favourite in my family. Just had some for lunch at my mum's yesterday. For ours we use ricotta and always top it with sesame seeds. Lovely to see your recipe, sounds delicious and convenient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made this for lunch yesterday but my recipe called for 1/2 cup oil - I think I'll try it with less next time. It is good, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is what I'm going to start very soon

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I read every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...