Thursday, March 13, 2014

thursday recipe: chocolate coconut biscuits


This recipe is a case of necessity being the mother of invention.

I had all the ingredients in the bowl to make anzacs for River's school fete, butter melted and then when I went to look for oats, we were out of them. A fairly key ingredient missing.

Hmmm. What to do? Drive to the shop to buy more oats or create something new? I consulted my trusty old Margaret Fulton Cookbook because I figured I would be heading down an old fashioned biscuit path and wanted to get an idea of what I could make with the ratios of flour and butter that I had in the bowl.

I decided to add a few tablespoons of cocoa powder and create the chocolate coconut biscuits you see pictured. They are definitely on the rich side with all that butter but they are not overly sweet, so if you like your biscuits to be sweet add some more sweetener of your choice.

To look at they do resemble yo-yos, if you wanted to be completely decadent you could sandwich them together with an icing, or jam and cream, or dip one half of each biscuit into melted chocolate.

Chocolate coconut biscuits

3 tbsp cocoa
3 cups spelt flour
1 cup coconut sugar
1.5 cups coconut
2 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp boiling water
1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
250g butter
2 tbsp honey

Preheat oven to 170C degrees.

In a large mixing bowl combine cocoa, flour, coconut, sugar and cinnamon.

Melt butter over a low heat and stir in the honey.

In a separate bowl put the baking powder and pour boiling water over it.

Add baking powder mixture to butter and honey.

Pour wet ingredients into mixing bowl and combine.

Roll into balls approx. 1 tbsp in size and then press down with a fork.

Bake for 10-12 minutes.

Perfect with a good cup of tea.

Happy cooking! x

5 comments:

  1. Yum! I love it when a left turn becomes a right one. I'll definitely give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy them Caz! x

      Delete
    2. We certainly did! I've popped the rest in the freezer so they're 'safe' for lunchboxes.

      Delete
  2. Oh, yum! (And how good is coconut sugar?!) Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes coconut sugar seems too good to be true really! If I lived closer I'd be baking you a batch. Hope you are feeling great! xx

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I read every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...