Wednesday, June 13, 2012

pumpkin, tofu and ginger curry



























Ah curry. With your aromatics, your warming spices, you are a perfect winter meal. I think curry is one of those dishes that is often misunderstood, and therefore unfairly disliked by some. Curry is made with spices, but does not have to equal chilli hot. The best part about making it yourself is you can tailor the spices to your taste. Having said that, in this recipe I have used a spice mix made by gourmet organic herbs and then just added extra spices to my liking. I am looking forward to experimenting further this winter with the myriad of flavours and styles of curry, so expect more curry recipes and feel free to email me if you have a favorite curry recipe that your family enjoy.

Pumpkin, tofu and ginger curry


Ingredients

1 knob butter, ghee or coconut oil
1 large onion, roughly chopped
1 4cm piece of ginger, finely grated
2 tbsp curry powder of choice (of course grinding your own blend is special but I do find this handy)
1 dessertspoon cumin
1 small carrot, grated
1 can coconut cream
1 cup water or stock
1 stick celery, sliced diagonally
3 cups large dice pumpkin
200g firm tofu, diced
2 star anise
2 tablespoons Bragg's all purpose seasoning

To make

Melt butter and saute onion and ginger over low heat for about five minutes until onion soft.
Add spices and cook for 3 minutes.
Add carrot and cook for 2 minutes.
Next, add the pumpkin and celery, tofu, coconut cream, water or stock and Bragg's.
Bring to boil and then reduce heat to simmer for approximately half an hour or until pumpkin is tender.

Serve with rice, steamed green vegetables and natural yoghurt.

The next curry I am dreaming of includes Thai flavours...fish sauce, lime juice, lemongrass, coriander.

I hope you enjoy this one.

2 comments:

  1. I love the look of this recipe. Can you tell me how many does this amount serve. i am hoping to be able modify it and make it for 24 for my zen meditation group

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz, your zen meditation group sounds great, especially if you serve yummy food like curry! Wow, cooking for 24...hmmm I would say the amounts in this recipe serve 4-5 people 4 people generously and 5 people a little more modestly. I hope that helps. Good luck with your class xx

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I read every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...