Wednesday, November 28, 2012

zucchini, chocolate and walnut brownies


The inspiration to create these came from an old cookbook I found at Sol's playgroup. It was a lunchbox and snacks kind of book that dated back to 1992. There was a recipe in there for zucchini chocolate cake that appealed to me except it had 1 cup of white sugar and 1.5 cups of brown sugar so that had to be changed. I scribbled the recipe into my notebook while the other mothers chatted, and the children squished playdough and wandered in and out from the back deck where they ride bikes and play in the sandpit. 

I like the use of vegetables in cakes. I like the moistness they bring to the mix. I won't kid myself or you  though that somehow cakes with vegetables are healthier, but I have managed to create a recipe using wholefoods that is both delicious and has some nutritional goodness in it too. 

Based on the recipe I found, my mind then went forward to brownies which are traditionally so rich and sweet that I don't make them or eat them but then I remembered Jude Blereau's fabulous wholefood brownie recipe in her book Coming Home to Eat. So I consulted Jude's recipe and between Jude's recipe, the playgroup recipe and my own pinch of stevia I think I'm on to something. 
Make a batch and you decide. Let me know!

And if you like a giveaway, do pop back tomorrow as I will be posting the very first Wholefood Mama giveaway. A breakfast delight for one lucky reader to win.

Too hot here today for baking brownies I'm off to the beach. Bye for now x


Zucchini, chocolate and walnut brownies

125g coconut oil
1/2 cup stevia
1/4 cup rice syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup spelt flour
1/4 cup brown rice flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup milk (I used rice milk but you can use cow's, soy, almond...)
1 cup grated zucchini
1/2 cup cocoa powder
60g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped roughly

Preheat oven to 165C. Grease and line a baking tray (mine is 22cm x 16cm but whatever you have is fine it just means depending on the size of the tray you will either have thicker or thinner brownies).
In a mixing bowl combine spelt flour, rice flour, baking powder, cocoa, stevia, cinnamon, walnuts and chocolate.
Then mix in zucchini.
Over a gentle heat melt coconut oil to liquid, add in rice malt syrup and vanilla.
Stir wet ingredients (including the milk) into dry ingredients until well combined.
Pour into lined baking tray and bake for approximately 30 minutes. The key to success with this is not to overcook it or it will be dry and crumbly. The edges will be just cooked and cake like and the centre will still be quite soft.
Remove it from the oven and allow to cool in the tin.
Using the edges of the baking paper lift the brownie from the tin and cut into squares.
Can be stored in the fridge but it is best eaten at room temperature. And best in a disguised container from children and husband.
Serve as is or for a dessert serve with tangy natural yoghurt or for traditional decadence, cream or ice cream.

2 comments:

  1. oh yum! one of my favourite blogs used to be 'Chocolate and Zucchini', and I've made her version of the cake many times before I cut down my sugar eating... I will be sure to give your brownies a try, they sound delish.
    Have you tried a beetroot and chocolate cake? Also super moist and yummy, and a great colour too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh that looks totally delicious. can't wait to make them, yum

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I read every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...