Monday, June 03, 2013

monday musings: on creativity




I dipped my toe in the water late last year beginning an occasional series on a monday venturing sideways from wholefood. It began with a post on blogging, then on birth and today the series returns with this post on creativity.

We are all creative beings. It is easy though for life to get in the way of exploring and nurturing our creative heart. Unfortunately it falls to the bottom of the priority list because making our art is often deemed self-indulgent or not as important as tending to washing, cooking, cleaning, relationships and so on. Yes all those things are important but when was the last time you set aside an hour to paint or write or sing for no other reason than to be creative? And not felt guilty about it.

Just hearing the word 'creative' or 'artistic' can make people recoil from it thinking "that's not me, I'm not creative and I'm definitely not artistic." Well I don't think that's true. It is so important to fill your creative cup so that you can rise the challenges and opportunities presented to you each day. If you nourish your creative heart you will find this lifts your energy and will overflow into all that has become mundane. There is opportunity to express and explore our artistry in everything we do from the way we dress to the way we cook.

Here's a story about my journey with creativity. Thirteen years ago I found myself stranded in Vancouver, Canada. I discovered many things about myself during this time and a book that became a friend was Julia Cameron's 'The Artist's Way'. I had traveled to Vancouver from Houston, Texas to renew my visa and re-enter America. Or so I thought that's what I was going to do. My visa application was denied. I spent a week in Vancouver before flying home to Australia, leaving a long time boyfriend in Texas. This was the end of our relationship and the beginning of a very big next chapter of my life including stepping deeper into my creativity, not only in my writing but also in various mediums as a way of getting to know myself better (which sounds corny when I read that but it's true!)

For those unfamiliar with Julia's book it is written as a 12 week course to 'discover and recover your creative self'. It's a wonderful book that will challenge and rattle any fixed beliefs you have about creativity and what you allow or don't allow yourself to do. For instance if you usually paint but think you might like to sing but don't consider yourself a singer, Julia encourages you to bringing singing into your day anyway. Julia provides great strategies to overcome obstacles to being creative, obstacle such as fear and the perception of having no time to tend to our creative longings.

I really believe that tapping into our creative well is a way of feeling fulfilled. If it is something you have let slide to the bottom of your list I hope this post inspires you to dive into your creative world or set about finding what makes your heart sing. The world could do with a little more colour and song.

Happy Monday :)

Share your story in the comments of finding your creative passion or if you're feeling stuck share that too, someone reading may have just the answer for you.

6 comments:

  1. I sat down at the table and dabbled with the kids water colour paints recently. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed it - very meditative. I should do it more often. (The kids were chuffed and of course joined me in a matter of minutes).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm talking about Michelle! Your words "very meditative" & "I should do this more often". Aha. Thanks for getting the conversation started x

      Delete
  2. So wonderful that both of us should write on this subject on the same day! I love what you say here: explore our artistry in everything we do from the way we dress to the way we cook. So true. Creativity and artistry isn't necessarily being able to draw a masterpiece, it's about expressing something deep inside. We're creative beings. And like you say, we breathe, we get dressed, we cook, we garden, we sing, we love and we nurture... we create. Writing, like you, is a huge part of my creative expression as is gardening, cooking, making my home, even finding a beautiful hand thrown planter for a house plant. Small things and big things. But just lately I long for something deeper. Hard to put into words, but it'll come. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Vanessa I love that we wrote about this on the same day too. I totally get what you are feeling, that longing for something deeper and I truly believe that connecting with our creative selves is the remedy. xx

      Delete
  3. I have that book sitting in my bookshelf, patiently waiting to be read, hmmm. Thank you for this post, so inspiring and thought provoking. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think like everything in life we are pulled toward whatever it is we need to do just at the right time which is very much the case with Julia's book. I think you will really love it once you get started - you creative being you! xxx

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I read every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...